The GoDurham ACCESS taxicab program provides ACCESS customers greater freedom and mobility, by offering customers the option to use a taxicab for their transportation needs. All customers certified to use ACCESS are eligible for the program.
- Service is only available during ACCESS operation hours
- Customers can call for a taxicab during the same day opposed to the 24 hour waiting period required by ACCESS.
- Taxicabs can only be used to travel inside the ACCESS service area.
How the Program Works
Customers can use coupons instead of cash for taxicab services. Coupon books have a value of $51, but customers are able to purchase the books for $25. Booklets consist of seven $5 coupons and sixteen $1 coupons
- Coupons are not redeemable for cash
- Coupons do not have cash value and cannot be used as tip or as wait-fare.
- Customers must pay the fare that is closest to the whole dollar amount, i.e. for a $7.35 fare a customer would use $8 in coupons or $7 in coupons and 35 cents in cash.
- Taxicab operators will not issue change for any coupons given in excess of the fare.
Upon purchasing the first coupon book, customers will be provided with a photo ID card. ID must be presented to the taxicab operator before each trip. Transportation may be denied without ID. The first ID is free, but there is a $5 fee for lost or stolen ID cards.
GoDurham ACCESS monitors this program closely and reserves the right to discontinue the sale of coupons to any person, at any time and/or seek prosecution of any person deemed to be involved in any fraudulent use of the taxicab coupons or program.
Purchasing Coupon Books
- Customers must come to the GoDurham ACCESS office to purchase the first set of taxicab coupons.
- Subsequent coupon books may be purchased either by mail or in person at the GoDurham ACCESS office.
- To purchase coupons via mail, send a check or money order to GoDurham ACCESS, 1911 Fay Street, Durham, NC 27704.
- Checks must bear the name of and be signed by the customer.
- Checks and money orders should be made payable to the City of Durham
- Customers can purchase coupon booklets in person at the GoDurham ACCESS office, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Participating Taxi Services
Only licensed taxicab operators who have provided evidence of their licensing to the City of Durham participate in the program. Customers can call 919.560.1551 for an up-to-date list of participating taxicab operators.
Taxicab operators determine whether or not their vehicle is equipped to transport customer. Neither GoDurham ACCESS nor the City of Durham is responsible for any liability that may result from their decisions. If a customer objects to a decision made by a taxicab operator, the matter must be resolved directly with the taxicab company.
Taxicab operators are required to transport individuals with a service animal.
Individuals with Visual Impairments
Coupon books are designed to be accessible to individuals with visual impairments.
- Each book has sixteen $1 coupons printed on eight green colored pages. The upper right hand corner is cut off on these pages.
- Each book has seven $5 coupons on seven yellow colored pages. The corner is not cut off on these pages.
Participating Taxicab Operators
McMillan’s Taxi #38 (ABC)